SEA | Seaweed Benefits
infusionofstyles has a coffee scrub mixed with seaweed just for these benefits plus a cellulite fighter! Coming soon!
Getting your greens takes on new meaning when we start talking seaweed skin benefits. You know your skin feels great after a day at the beach. Salt water and humidity have a way of doing that. Now for reaping the skin loving benefits of a plant from under the sea.
Seaweed is making a real name for itself. Pretty much any healthy living guru will tell you it is a nutrient-rich addition to your diet. As with most healthy ingredients, skin loves the superfood, too.
Technically a type of algae, there are three main colors of seaweed - green, red, and brown. Seaweed powders and extracts are added to skincare products, like cleansers, toners, masks, serums, and moisturizers.
One brand that is completely behind seaweed skin benefits and uses them in product formulations is OSEA. Take a look at EcoSalon’s interview with OSEA founder, Jennifer Palmer, to find out why she made seaweed the star of her natural skincare line.
It seems seaweed is making a splash in other areas of personal care, as well. Market research shows the ingredient showed up (usually in the form of brown or red seaweed) in approximately two percent of new body care products launched from January 2011 to October 2015.
7 SEAWEED SKIN BENEFITS
1. Detoxifying: Seaweed has many jobs in the ocean and one is to remove pollutants, like heavy metals, from the water. It works similarly on skin, drawing out impurities and detoxing the skin. If you’ve been under stress, ill, or in need of a skin pick-me-up, this potent ingredient is the answer.
2. Anti-Aging: Seaweed is packed with micronutrients and antioxidants, helping to fight free radical damage which can lead to premature aging. Incorporate this healthy ingredient into your skin routine to support youthful skin.
3. Firm & Tighten: Often found in anti-aging serums and moisturizers, seaweed gives skin a firmer appearance and natural radiance. It also has a slight tightening effect, making pores look more refined.
4. Moisturizing: Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, seaweed moisturizes, softens, and balances oil production. A highly effective treatment for skin that is dehydrated or rough, it is gentle enough for most skin types.
5. Soothing: Super calming to skin, seaweed is well suited for sensitive skin types and rosacea. Use to reduce redness and irritation.
6. Brightening: Seaweed has natural lightening abilities, diminishing the look of dark spots and evening out skin tone. A summertime must-have.
7. Purifying: Naturally antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, seaweed is an effective solution for treating acne-prone skin. The natural soothing effect also helps to tone down the look of breakouts.